Saturday, September 17, 2011

The Other Kissing Disease


I have bad in the throat. That’s what they say in France when one has a sore throat. I have one. I would venture to say that I have VERY bad in the throat. Many of my friends in the BU program have been feeling a bit ill, so, of course, it’s become a sort of bubonic plague. We are like small schoolchildren spreading the dreaded...GERMS. I would say that it’s because we are polite. We must faire les bisous all the time. It’s only polite. Any time you greet someone you know or bid them farewell, you must do the obligatory kisses on each cheek (two kisses in Paris - it varies depending on the region). Thus, I am convinced that we are spreading the “disease of politesse.” Our gentility is making us ill. On the subject of politeness, I have learned that in a cafe, they are not ignoring you, but giving you space. Exhibit A: You order a coffee, and an hour later, they have not brought you your check. You begin to wonder...Was it something I said? My accent, perhaps? Do I look too American? Must I buy something else? The answer is no. In France, it is not polite to bring the check too quickly. It is their way of saying “At your leisure. If you would like to sip your coffee and read the newspaper or your novel until the cows come home, you are more than welcome to occupy that space. You have paid for it, and it is yours until you choose to abandon it.” They will not rush you out, and their seeming ignorance of your existence is not personal, but polite. If you want your check, just signal the waiter. I am a fan of this notion. However, I am also a fan of the notion that if I’m running off to see a performance at 8, I want my food and check immediately, and before 7:45! Merci beaucoup!

No comments:

Post a Comment